Everything you've ever dreamed a pasta would be... think bagel turned pasta. Prep/Cook Time: 30 Minutes
I haven't posted a recipe in a while, and to be honest, haven't felt like cooking for some time. Most of my creative energy has been taken up by other outlets, and have demanded most my attention, leaving none left for the kitchen. But, y'all, (I can say that right? I've lived in Texas for two years now...) I came home on a Monday evening, one week after a major assignment had been completed, ready to burn, (the stove top, that is)! I was looking for something familiar but different, and I was thinking back to the time I had major food restrictions and had to be incredibly inventive in the kitchen. I knew Carlos probably wouldn't like any of the food I was thinking of, (his favorite food is bread but he doesn't like bagels to give you an idea of how picky he is) so I went ahead and allowed myself to cook only for me. Before I went on my major food restrictions, around five years ago, an old boyfriend cooked me a fabulous vegetarian meal, that I just drooled over... I was craving that, but then I thought of an absolutely breathtaking idea, and I can't even begin to tell you how amazing it was. I'm going to tell you how it came about...
I followed an urge to Trader Joes, because I needed some staples one can only find there... and remembered the "Everything but the Bagel Seasoning" that is the greatest weapon. Then I remembered the recipe I was talking about, and began getting the ingredients... It's a simple pasta; noodles, yogurt, and onions. It's one of those things that is amazing because of its simplicity. So I get home and I'm unloading all of the ingredients, and bam! I pull out the everything bagel seasoning and the noodles at the same time and was like... is this supposed to happen? So I always hate when recipe posts are sooooo long, so I am going to just get to that, but it is the best thing I've had in a loooong time, and I am so excited to share with you.
- A pound of Pappardelle Pasta
- 1/2 a cup of plain greek yogurt or Sour cream (I use a mix of both) You can also use cream cheese if you want, (because this is supposed to be a bagel-turned-pasta).
- 6, (yes six) cups of diced sweet or yellow onions
- Trader Joes, Everything but the Bagel Seasoning, (or make your own)
- 1/4 cup of butter - 1/2 cup of shredded gruyere cheese
- Salt to taste
- Start by caramelizing diced onions with butter, salt, and everything but the bagel seasoning. Caramelize until dark golden-brown, or the build up of umami flavor has stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- In a separate pot, boil 4 quarts or so of water. Make sure you salt it. Like... don't be afraid of salt (trust me) Koser salt or sea salt is best to use.
- Bring to rolling boil. Once rolling, put pasta in, and boil for eight minutes.
- In a heat-safe bowl, conserve about a cup of the pasta water.
- Strain pasta and set aside.
- In another bowl, add yogurt (or whatever dairy you chose) onions, and cheese. Mix with a bit of the conserved pasta water. - Add pasta and mix generously.
- Add a generous topping of everything but the bagel seasoning, and enjoy! Let me know how it goes, fam! I am so stoked about this recipe. -Jess